Around 60% of Adelaide’s carbon emissions come from energy use. We want to drive solutions and investment in energy efficiency of city buildings, public lighting and small-scale renewables in the city.
We’re looking for ideas that can:
- Improve the energy performance of government and commercial buildings.
- Incentivise business and household investment in solar PV, battery storage and other energy efficient products.
- Empower collective action from city users to reduce energy use.
What have we already achieved?
- Adelaide City Council has reduced its operational energy use by 15% since 2010.
- Since 2001, the South Australian Government has improved the energy efficiency of its owned and leased buildings by 24%.
- From 2007 to 2013 city office floor area grew by 243,000m2 or 16%, yet through best practice green building design, energy efficiency and renewable electricity, emissions declined by 23%.
- The CitySwitch Green Office Program, a partnership between the Cities of Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, includes 3,000,000m2 of office floor space nationally.
Learn more about Adelaide's energy emissions in the Carbon Neutral Adelaide Foundation report available in our resources section.