Birds With One Stone
Instead of filling up open space (e.g. Lecornu site North Adelaide) with buildings, plant native vegetation indigenous to the space & locality.
How this will impact Adelaide's carbon emissions
More native vegetation will both absorb more carbon dioxide but will have the added benefits of
* increasing community amenity
* bringing people closer to nature & thereby improve their mental health (research supports this) as well as increasing sensitivity to & awareness of our place in the natural environment & our dependence on it
* increase biodiversity & thereby reduce the chances of catastrophic environmental collapse
* make Adelaide an increasingly unique city thereby increasing tourism
* reduce water use since indigenous plant species are adapted to local conditions & have a greater survival rate without inputs of valuable resources such as water
* provide a model for other cities & towns to emulate
establish a bank of knowledge & expertise which can be sold to other localities
Voting has now closed for the Wildcard prize. Stay tuned to find out which project will be the 11th finalist.